Vice-premier calls for stricter safety inspections after deadly Shanxi coal mine blast
Vice-Premier Zhang Guoqing on Saturday called for all-out search and rescue efforts and a thorough investigation into the cause of a Friday gas explosion at a coal mine in North China's Shanxi province that killed dozens of people.
Zhang, who is also a member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, urged further safety inspections and rectification in key sectors across the country, including coal mines and hazardous chemicals, according to China Media Group.
As of 2 pm Saturday, 82 people had been confirmed dead following the gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi, Xinhua reported.
The senior official led a working group to the site of the gas explosion on Saturday to guide emergency response work.
He convened a meeting at the on-site command center to arrange work on rescue and medical treatment, victim support and aftermath handling, and accident investigation.
Zhang stressed the need to mobilize professional forces to carry out scientific search and rescue operations with all-out efforts, while preventing secondary casualties. The number of missing people must be verified, and no one should be left unaccounted for, he said.
He also called for organizing high-level medical experts to provide careful treatment for the injured and minimize disabilities caused by injuries.
Zhang said support and follow-up work for affected families should be carried out in a "solid and meticulous" manner, while information should be released in a timely and accurate way to respond to public concerns.
He urged the State Council investigation team to conduct a "tough and uncompromising" investigation, thoroughly identify the cause of the accident, and determine responsibilities related to local management, industry supervision and the company involved, with severe punishment imposed in accordance with laws and regulations.
The Office of the State Council Work Safety Commission and local authorities should immediately make further arrangements for safety inspections and rectification in key sectors, including coal mines and hazardous chemicals, Zhang said.
He also emphasized strictly enforcing regulations and strengthening coordination between administrative law enforcement and criminal justice.
- Company involved in North China coal mine explosion found with 'serious violations of laws'
- North China coal mine explosion leaves 82 dead, 2 missing
- China ramps up medical response after deadly Shanxi coal mine explosion
- Vice-premier calls for stricter safety inspections after deadly Shanxi coal mine blast
- China launches uncompromising probe into deadly mine explosion
- Central authorities send more relief items to Guangxi































