Hunan flood death toll rises as rescue efforts intensify
The death toll from the devastating floods in Shimen county, Changde, Hunan province, has risen to six, with ten people still missing as of Thursday morning, according to local authorities.
The heavy rainfall, which began on Sunday, has impacted all 23 townships and subdistricts in the county, according to the Changde Emergency Management Bureau. Ongoing emergency rescue operations include search efforts for the missing, infrastructure repairs and the distribution of relief supplies to affected residents.
In Hupingshan township, one of the hardest-hit areas, more than 20 relief supply distribution points were established by Tuesday, according to Fang Jie, the township's Party secretary. In villages that remain inaccessible by road, drones have been deployed to deliver essential supplies such as bottled water, instant noodles, rice and cooking oil.
On Tuesday, 20 rescue workers from the Changsha Yuelu Blue Sky Rescue Team arrived in the disaster-stricken area of Nanbei township. Landslides had damaged roads, forcing rescuers to carry supplies on foot for over six hours to reach those in need, said team leader Tan Zhang. Despite these challenges, search operations have continued without interruption, he added.
By Thursday, 146 firefighters, equipped with 40 fire trucks and three boats from across Hunan province, had been dispatched to five key locations for rescue operations, authorities said. The Hunan Department of Emergency Management has also deployed two helicopters to conduct aerial reconnaissance, search and rescue missions, and deliver emergency supplies to isolated areas.
Weather forecasts indicate that a second round of rainfall is expected to hit the affected region later on Thursday. The government have arranged for helicopters to intensify evacuation efforts and transport stranded residents to safety.
- Hunan flood death toll rises as rescue efforts intensify
- Science and technology backyards bridge research, rural vitalization in China
- China rectifies 66,000 improper enterprise-related law enforcement cases
- China's LangYa large model set for major upgrade
- China's second domestically made cruise ship to launch inaugural voyage in Nov
- Authorities destroy 540kg of tainted Chinese bayberry, detaining five suspects in Fujian

































