逍遥法外电影大尺度未删减,伊人天堂网,蜜桃臀av在线,综合网天天,老炮儿电影未删减完整版下载,国内久久精品视频,风花电影在线观看完整版

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Americas

Indictment of Raul Castro draws criticism in Cuba

XINHUA | Updated: 2026-05-23 07:46
Share
Share - WeChat

HAVANA — A US indictment against Cuban Revolution leader Raul Castro over the downing of two aircraft nearly 30 years ago has drawn strong criticism in Cuba, where officials see the move as politically motivated and part of Washington's broader pressure campaign against Havana.

The indictment came after months of heightened tensions between the two countries. Since the beginning of the year, the US administration has announced new measures against Cuba, including restrictions targeting countries that supply oil to the island and additional sanctions against Cuban entities and officials. Cuban authorities have also denounced recent US remarks hinting at possible military action as a dangerous escalation.

Against that backdrop, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said on Wednesday on X that the charges against Castro are a "political maneuver" with no legal basis.

He said the indictment reveals "the arrogance and frustration" of US officials in the face of the Cuban Revolution and is intended to "enlarge the file" Washington is building to justify possible military aggression against Cuba.

On Wednesday, a grand jury from the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida indicted Castro in connection with the downing of two planes operated by a US-based Cuban exile group named "Brothers to the Rescue" in 1996.

Diaz-Canel rejected Washington's account of the incident, saying Cuba acted in "legitimate self-defense" after repeated violations of the island country's airspace by members of the Miami-based group. Cuba issued more than a dozen warnings about the violations before the aircraft were shot down, he said.

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez also condemned the indictment, calling it "illegitimate and illegal" and saying it seeks to reinforce what he described as a "fraudulent narrative" to justify aggression against the people.

Similar concerns were voiced by Cuban scholars and residents, who said the case had revived fears that Washington could use the legal move as another pretext for tightening pressure on Cuba.

Luis Rene Fernandez, a Cuban professor at the University of Havana, said the indictment is part of what he called a "high-intensity hybrid war" by the United States against Cuba.

Liuba Hernandez, a 43-year-old self-employed worker, said the accusation against Castro appears to be another excuse for maintaining pressure on Cuba.

Castro, 94, is the youngest brother of the late Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro. A guerrilla fighter, along with his brother, Raul Castro, served as a military and political leader after the triumph of the revolution in 1959.

Amid the escalating tensions, US President Donald Trump and the country's top diplomat on Thursday again raised the specter of US military intervention.

Trump said previous US presidents have considered intervening in Cuba for decades, but that "it looks like I'll be the one that does it".

Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters separately that Cuba has been a national security threat for years because of its ties to US adversaries and that Trump is intent on addressing it. Rubio says the US prefers a negotiated agreement with Cuba.

Rubio also said that Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of the executive president of GAESA, a conglomerate of military-run businesses, had been arrested.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US